Holiday home and short term let insurance

We can cover your UK holiday home, holiday let or second home so you can rest assured your property is protected, even when you’re not there.

Get a quote 0345 310 6336

Holiday home and short term let insurance

As well as standard home insurance, we also offer holiday home and short term let insurance. This will cover your country retreat, whether you use it purely for yourself and your family or you also let the home out for short term holidays lettings.

Our holiday home insurance policy is designed for apartments, lodges, flats, cottages or houses. We know how difficult and expensive obtaining suitable holiday home insurance can be so we have looked at the market and are confident that you will find our premiums to be among the most competitive you will find for your holiday home.

We have tailored a UK holiday home insurance policy that provides comprehensive cover that can include cover for up to 10 paying guests, accidental damage, malicious damage and theft by paying guests and the standard policy excess is only £250 or just £100 if the home is used by the family only.

Our team of 3 household brokers have over 60 years’ experience in the insurance industry and so we’re able to work closely with customers to develop the right holiday home insurance policy for your needs. Our team of in house underwriters have the authority to be as flexible as you need. So if there is anything non-standard about your property we can usually accommodate it.

Get a holiday home insurance quote

Tailored UK short term let insurance starting from just £115 a year

  • We have our own delegated and bespoke scheme underwritten at Lloyds to offer extremely competitive pricing
  • Friendly and helpful UK based underwriting and claims service
  • Option to insure contents, buildings or both
  • Superb and flexible cover without any unfair restrictions
  • Cover includes accidental damage by tenants and their guests
  • Low excesses with £100 for family holiday homes and £250 for holiday lets

Get a holiday home insurance quote

Tailored UK short term let insurance starting from just £115 a year

  • FAQs

    Please see below some of our frequently asked questions

    • Why do I need holiday home insurance?

      A regular home insurance policy is unlikely to cover a second home, which may be left unoccupied for lengthy periods of time. Holiday homes can be seen as a greater risk because there is no one to check whether damage from weather or frozen pipes, for instance, does not escalate and lead to expensive insurance claims; unoccupied properties can be targeted by squatters or thieves; and additional problems can be caused if the property is let out.

    • Which insurers do you use for your holiday home insurance policies?

      Fairmead Insurance Limited, part of the Liverpool Victoria Insurance Group.

    • How much does holiday home insurance cost?

      Depending on your circumstances you can cover numerous things from the building, fixtures and fittings, landlords contents left at the let property for tenants use, loss of rent, property owners liability to name a few.

    • How would I know the rebuilding cost of my property?

      After you have purchased the property with a mortgage your lender will usually have a surveyor carry out a valuation, and this should indicate a rebuilding sum insured. If you do not have a mortgage valuation you can seek guidance from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors by visiting www.bcis.co.uk, however the only way to obtain an accurate rebuilding valuation is to enlist the services of a qualified surveyor. This may cost a little more now but could save you money if you overestimate your sum insured or save you a considerable sum if you under insure.

    • What happens if I insure my property for a lower sum insured than it would cost to rebuild?

      If you are under insured then your insurers are only liable to pay a proportion of your claim. For example if your sum insured only covers 50% of your rebuilding cost, then your insurers are only liable for paying 50% of the amount that you claim. This applies to your contents and loss of rent as well as your buildings cover.

    • How do I notify you of a claim?

      There is a simple and easy to follow claims procedures available in your policy wording brochures.

    • I do not live near the property; can my managing agent deal with the claim for me?

      Yes. We will need to receive authorisation from you confirming that you are happy for them to deal with the claim on your behalf and their full contact details. The easiest way for us to receive this is via post or email to claims@hamiltonfraser.co.uk.

    • Does the holiday home insurance cover loss for rentals?

      Following an insured loss there is cover for up to 20% of your sums insured.

    • Does the holiday home insurance policy cover the property if it is also used for my own holidays or if I lend the property to friends or family?

      Yes, no problems there.

    • Does the holiday home insurance policy cover accidental damage and theft by paying guests?

      Accidental damage can be included for an additional premium. Theft by paying guests unfortunately is not covered under our policy. Theft has to be following violent or forcible entry.

    • Do I have to regularly inspect the holiday home?

      Yes, the property has to be checked by a responsible adult at least every 30 days.