Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Landlord Insurance

Our award winning landlord insurance offering, Total Landlord Insurance, has been specialising in providing comprehensive cover for landlords since 1996. Building upon the extensive knowledge and experience of Hamilton Fraser, our focus is to offer easy to understand insurance for landlords without sacrificing high quality buy to let cover, or a great price.

Get a quote Retrieve a quote

What is landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance protects the property owner against financial losses suffered in connection to a rental property. It protects the building itself and related risks such as injury or loss suffered by a tenant because of a fault with the building.

Our landlord insurance offering

It is through our unique understanding of the buy-to-let industry that we are able to offer not only good value buildings and contents insurance, but valuable insight into the best ways to protect your investment, giving you total peace of mind.

Our landlord insurance has been created to meet the needs of landlords by offering you two simple policies that take the headache out of buying buy to let landlord insurance for your rental properties.

Great cover and excellent price compared to competitors. Highly recommend.
– Massey, Landlord

The two easy to understand policies combine buildings and contents insurance and even include loss of rent and liability cover for landlords; meaning however you manage your lettings, you’re assured effective cover that protects your investment. By providing different buildings and contents insurance inclusions within our essential and premier policies you can choose the level of cover you need, based upon your individual requirements.

Achieve the peace of mind that effective buildings and contents landlords insurance offers and choose an award winning specialist provider that understands the unique challenges you face as a landlord.

Do you need effective landlord building insurance?

We offer comprehensive coverage for landlords throughout the UK – providing solutions such as landlord home emergency cover and landlord rent guarantee insurance that not only gives you complete protection but saves you money. As the country’s leading landlord insurance specialist, we know how important it is to protect your reputation as well as your property – which is why we’re proud to have covered the needs of the nation’s landlords for over 20 years.

Whether you’re a new or existing landlord, our experts are well-experienced in delivering professional advice – from insuring a single property to managing a portfolio of multi properties.

Get the utmost defence for buildings and contents by ensuring you receive full cover when obtaining landlords home and buildings insurance with our team; where you can get a quote in minutes. It’s our business to make insuring your property simple whilst offering a bespoke service that complements your needs. Our highly trained team assess and cover all areas of concern, working with you from start to finish to achieve a specialist quote suited to you – and you alone.

As one of the market leaders in landlords insurance, we invest in you and your assets to ensure you receive the very best in extensive coverage. Our aim is to put you at ease by making your life easier – which is why we’re confident you’ll enjoy the best landlord insurance cover only with Total Landlord Insurance.

Our wide range of products and services have been designed to be informative and practical, allowing you to make the best choice for your preferences. Consisting of over 20 years’ experience within the landlord sector, Total Landlord Insurance has successfully maintained the highest level of quality and expertise across its client base – reaching out to a number of proprietors whatever their circumstances. In 2017 and 2018 we won ‘Best Landlord Insurance Provider at the Insurance Choice Awards, highlighting the additional work we put into providing reliable support and accurate advice.

Excellent service, friendly staff and very helpful.
– Franklin, Landlord

From being based in the UK to overseas, we treat each of our customers with the same respect and loyalty they deserve; safe in the knowledge that their most valued properties are with a trusted and highly credible name.

Get a quote

Get a quote online in under 4 minutes

Get a quote

Get a quote online in 4 minutes

  • FAQs

    • What does landlord insurance cover?

      Landlord insurance is an insurance policy that covers a landlord from financial losses connected with their rental property. It typically offers a range of different covers grouped into one policy to provide comprehensive protection for landlords.

      You can expect basic landlord insurance to cover your buildings and contents for accidental damage such as a broken window or a sink that has come away from the wall, theft by forced entry, full cover between tenancies, trace and access and theft of keys or replacement locks.

      Landlord insurance will also cover you for loss of rent or alternative accommodation in the event that your property is uninhabitable and property owner’s liability to cover you for things like an injury at the property or damage to possessions.

      With a higher level of landlord insurance cover you can expect features such as a malicious damage by tenants, removal of nests, landlords’ gardening equipment and outbuilding cover, denial of access cover, employer’s liability and property disputes cover.

    • Do I have to have landlord insurance?

      There’s no legal obligation for a landlord to take out a dedicated insurance policy. However, a standard home insurance policy isn’t designed for rental properties – you need specialist landlord insurance that will provide you with adequate cover in the event that your property is vandalised or damaged by a flood.

    • Why do I need landlord’s insurance?

      Although landlord’s insurance isn’t compulsory, a dedicated policy designed for landlords will provide specific cover for your rental property. Landlord’s insurance will cover you for many of the same things that your home insurance does but it will also cover the risks that come with a buy to let such as buildings, contents and loss of rent cover.

    • What type of landlord insurance do I need?

      As a landlord there are various types of insurance that you should consider. This includes landlord’s buildings and contents insurance to protect the structure of your property, fixtures and fittings and your contents. There is also rent guarantee and legal expenses insurance to protect you against rental arrears. You may also want to consider landlord emergency cover, which will provide assistance in the event of a domestic emergency at your property.

    • How much does landlord insurance cost?

      The cost of your landlord insurance depends on the level of risk your property presents. Factors that can influence the cost of your landlord insurance include the type of property, property location, the level of cover you need, any extras such as employer’s lability cover and claims history.

      Our landlord insurance starts from just £112 a year and on average a landlord insurance policy costs about £202 a year. This gives you a benchmark of how much you can expect to pay.

  • Choose the level of cover you need based upon your individual requirements with two easy to understand landlord insurance policies that protect your investment, Premier and Essential
  • A dedicated in-house claims team of expert advisers providing customers with a sole point of contact should the worst happen
  • All property types considered – freehold houses to leasehold flats
  • Both policies accommodate for all types of tenants from housing benefit tenants to students, houses in multiple occupation and working tenants with no difference in cover or price
  • Flexible cover that enables you to add properties to an existing policy at any time, giving you one renewal date
  • 30 days full cover between tenancies on our Essential policy and 90 days full cover between tenancies on our Premier policy
  • Both policies include loss of rent or alternative accommodation (30% of buildings sum insured on the Premier policy, and 20% of buildings sum insured on the Essential policy)
  • Both policies include theft by violence and forcible entry, our Premier policy includes theft by tenants and/or their guests
  • Our Premier policy offers property owners liability with a £5,000,000 limit of indemnity (our Essential policy includes a £2,000,000 limit of indemnity)
  • Our Premier policy covers malicious damage by tenants and their guests and offers extensive property disputes support

  • Choose the level of excess that’s right for you – £100, £250, £500 or £1,000
  • Protect your property against loss or damage resulting from acts of terrorism with our terrorism cover.
  • Include employer’s liability cover (available under our Premier policy) for protection against your legal liability to pay compensation, claimants costs and expenses in respect of injury sustained by an employee.

Get a quote

Get a quote online in under 4 minutes

Landlord Insurance Comparison

Landlord Essential Insurance

Landlord Premier Insurance

Accidental damage to glass and sanitary fittings
Accidental damage by tenants and/or guests
Malicious damage by tenants and/or guests
i£25,000 per claim
Theft by violent and forcible entry
Theft by tenants and/or guests
Full cover between tenancies
i30 days - subject to policy terms and conditions
i90 days - subject to policy terms and conditions
Trace and access
i£1,000 - limited to £5,000 per policy year
i£5,000 - limited to £25,000 per policy year
Damage to landscape gardens by emergency services
Theft of keys or replacement locks
i£250 - limited to £1,000 per policy year
i£1000 - limited to £25,000 per policy year
Loss of metered water or oil
Removal of nests
Accidental damage to glass and sanitary fittings
Accidental damage to contents
Malicious damage by tenants and/or guests
ilimited to £5,000 per loss
iby violent and forcible entry only
Theft by tenants and/or guests
Single article limit
Landlord's gardening equipment in outbuilding
Loss of rent or alternative accommodation
Loss of rent or alternative accommodation
ilimited to 20% of buildings sum insured
ilimited to 30% of buildings sum insured
Denial of access cover
ilimited to 90 days
Standard excess - £250
ibut with the option to reduce to £100 or increase to £500 or £1,000
ibut with the option to reduce to £100 or increase to £500 or £1,000
Malicious damage
iby tenants/or guests, excess of £1,000
iexcess of £1,000
iexcess of £1,000
Property disputes cover
Telephone legal advice line
£10,000 limit of indemnity
Nuisance and trespass
Criminal defence costs
Contract disputes

Get a quote

Get a quote online in under 4 minutes

Policy documents

View and download your policy documents here

  • Assumptions

    To make getting a quote quick and easy, we’ve made some assumptions about you and your rental property for this policy

    You, your directors and your business

    • You, your directors and your business have never had a policy cancelled by your insurers, had cover declined, had special terms imposed or been declined renewal for any covers that this quote refers to
    • You, your directors and your business have never been declared bankrupt, had any CCJ’s nor are you currently the subject of any bankruptcy proceedings/voluntary or mandatory insolvency or winding-up procedures
    • You, your directors or your business have never been convicted or charged with (or have a conviction for) a criminal offence other than a motoring offence
    • You, your directors and your business can confirm to the best knowledge and belief that all information provided in connection with this quotation is correct and complete


    • An Assured, Assured Shorthold or Regulated Tenancy Agreement (England and Wales) or Short Assured or Assured Tenancy Agreement (Scotland) is in place
    • You, your letting/managing agent, must have full control over the property
    • All of the properties will be occupied from the start date of cover
    • You must have a signed tenancy agreement directly between you and the tenant/s (occupier/s) of the property
    • The property is not sub-let/leased to a third party who controls the tenancy and occupancy as if it was their own

    Your properties

    • None of the properties are registered as listed by the National Heritage (England)
    • All of the properties have walls made from a standard construction (stone, brick or concrete)
    • All of the properties have a roof made from a standard construction (slate or tile)
    • No more than 20% of the total roof area of any of the properties is flat
    • All of the properties are in a good state of repair and will continue to be maintained as such
    • All of the properties are free from subsidence, heave, landslip and have never been underpinned in full or part
    • None of the properties are constructed on made up ground
    • None of the properties have ever suffered from environmental flooding
    • None of the properties are used for commercial purposes
    • All of the properties are domestic residential properties and there are not any cooking facilities in any of the bedrooms
    • None of the properties will be used as bedsits
    • None of the properties contain portable gas or electric fan heaters
  • FAQs

    Please see below some of our other frequently asked questions

    • How would I know the rebuilding cost of my property?

      If you have purchased the property with a mortgage your lender will usually have a surveyor carry out a valuation, and this should indicate a rebuilding sum insured. If you do not have a mortgage valuation you can seek guidance from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors by visiting, however the only way to obtain an accurate rebuilding valuation is to enlist the services of a qualified surveyor. This may cost a little more now but could save you money if you overestimate your sum insured or save you a considerable sum if you under insure.

    • If I let my property furnished can I obtain contents cover?

      Yes, but accidental damage cover would not be included under the contents section.

    • Will my cover continue if the tenants move out?

      Our policies do provide full cover for a period of either 30 or 90 days depending on the cover that you purchase and subject to you taking certain precautions. Please refer to the summary of cover or call us for more information.

    • What happens if I insure my property for a lower sum insured than it would cost to rebuild?

      If you are under insured then your insurers are only liable to pay a proportion of your claim. For example if your sum insured only covers 50% of your rebuilding cost, then your insurers are only liable for paying 50% of the amount that you claim. This applies to your contents and loss of rent as well as your buildings cover.

    • Do I insure my property from exchange or completion?

      Insurance is usually offered from exchange, but you should be guided by your solicitor on the exact date to start your policy.

    • Is the building sum insured the same as the market value of the property?

      No, you already own the land so the rebuilding figure is the cost of rebuilding your property if it was completely destroyed and should also include debris removal and architect and surveyors costs.

    • I am insuring the buildings, does this include fixtures and fittings?

      Landlord fixtures and fittings, including communal television and radio receiving aerials, satellite dishes and communication equipment, fixed glass, fixed sanitary ware and other related fittings in or pertaining to the buildings, are included as part of the building insurance cover. Just make sure this is included within your sum insured.

    • Why do I need separate insurance cover for fixtures and fittings?

      As a leaseholder, the freeholder’s insurance may not extend to cover the fixtures and fittings within your flat or if it does, the replacement may not be on a like for like basis so it is worth checking the terms of your lease. This can be included on your policy where required.

    • I own a flat in a block and the freeholder covers the building, do I need any additional cover?

      As the owner of a leasehold property you are not usually required to insure the buildings however you are still legally liable for the welfare of your tenant, so should the tenant suffer an injury within your flat you could find yourself on the receiving end of a claim. We recommend that every landlord buy cover for property owners liability at the very least as this will protect you personally should a tenant claim against you. Whilst you do not need any other cover you should also consider insuring your contents, loss of rental income and any improvements that you have carried out at the property such as fitted kitchens, bathrooms, double glazing etc. These items may not be covered by your freeholder, or if they are the replacement may not be on a like for like basis so it is worth checking the terms of your lease. We can cover these items under the fixtures and fittings section of our policy.

    • What is an interested party?

      An interested party is any other person or organisation with a financial interest in the property, such as a mortgage provider.

    • What is a HMO?

      The Housing Act 2004 defines an HMO as one of the following (part 7 section 254): A building with one or more units of accommodation which are not self-contained flats, occupied by people who are not in one household who pay rent, occupy the property as their main or only residence, are the only people to use that accommodation and share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet. If the building contains a mixture of self-contained flats and non-self-contained accommodation the building will still be considered an HMO owing to the presence of non-self-contained accommodation where people are sharing facilities. A converted building with at least one unit of accommodation which is not self-contained, occupied by people from more than one household who pay rent and occupy it as their main or only residence. As with the first definition, such a building may have self-contained flats in it as well but the presence of non-self-contained accommodation will mean that the building is an HMO. (Unlike the first definition, the occupants of the non-self-contained accommodation do not have to be sharing kitchen and bathroom facilities for the building to be an HMO.) A self-contained flat may also be an HMO if it is occupied by people who are more than two households who pay rent, occupy the flat as their main or only residence, are the only people to use that accommodation and share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet. A building converted into self-contained flats, less than two-thirds of which are owner-occupied, will be an HMO if the building work did not comply with building regulations.

    • What is meant by the term "used for commercial purposes"?

      “Commercial purposes” is defined as any type of business being operated from the insured property. As our Landlords Insurance policy is designed to cover premises used solely for residential purposes it is not suitable if your tenant or their guests run any type of business from home. If your tenant operates a business from the insured premises a commercial property owner’s policy would better suit your needs. For further information on this type of policy please call us to discuss your requirements.

    • What happens if I change my mind after taking out the policy?

      The policy provides you with a 14 day cooling off period in which to decide whether you wish to continue. Further information can be found in our policy wording.

    • Why do landlords need an inventory before letting?

      An inventory is one of the most important documents that a landlord will need when letting a property to a tenant. Contained within an inventory will be the condition of the property and any fixtures and fittings at the time that the tenant is handed the keys to the property.

    • How detailed should a landlord inventory be?

      An inventory should be as detailed and thorough as possible. The more detailed your inventory is the less likely there will be any disputes at the end of the tenancy.

    • How to draw up an inventory before letting?

      The inventory document will have a very important factor when determining outcome of a dispute between a landlord and a tenant and should not be taken lightly… Regular checks of the property as part of the inventory are recommended and also a final check out inventory. For an example guide of an inventory completed by the inventory company No Letting Go click here.

    • How often are landlords supposed to have boilers serviced?

      It is recommended that a boiler is serviced at least once a year.

    • How often should landlords inspect roofs?

      It would not be advisable to rely on tenants to inform you of any possible structural problems to the roof and insure that the roof is inspected at least once a year. If possible this should be done twice a year.

    • Who is liable for the gas safety certificate?

      It is a legal requirement for the landlord to provide their tenant with a gas safety certificate and to have all gas appliances serviced and given an annual safety inspection.

    • Who is liable for faulty electrics – tenant or landlord?

      A tenant is responsible for repair to electrical appliances that have not been installed by the landlord. All items installed by the landlord will be the responsibility of the landlord and this also includes socket outlets and switches.

    • What is a void period?

      A void period is the period where the property is vacant in between lets.

    • How can I reduce void periods?

      You can help to reduce void periods by maintaining good relationships with your tenants so that they do not wish to move. If your tenants do wish to leave the property it is important that you advertise your property with a letting agent or on a property portal to ensure you get a new tenant as soon as possible.

    • How can I cover against void periods?

      Our Premier Insurance policy provides up to 90 days full cover between tenancies (subject to policy terms and conditions). This should be plenty of time for you to find new tenants and re-let your property.

    • Do I need to notify HMRC when I become a landlord?

      You do not have to inform HMRC when you become a landlord, although you should be aware of your tax liabilities for more information we recommend you go to:

    • Do I have to notify my mortgage lender that I am renting my property?

      It is always advisable to notify your mortgage lender if you are considering letting your property as there may be implications you will need to consider.

    • What insurance do I need as a landlord?

      There are various types of insurance that you should consider as a landlord. This includes landlord’s buildings and contents insurance to protect the structure of your property, fixtures and fittings and your contents. There is also rent guarantee and legal expenses insurance to protect you against rental arrears. Another type of insurance you should consider is landlord emergency cover, which will provide assistance in the event of a domestic emergency at your property.

    • I do not live near the property; can my managing agent deal with the claim for me?

      Yes. We will need to receive authorisation from you confirming that you are happy for them to deal with the claim on your behalf and their full contact details. The easiest way for us to receive this is via post or email to

    • How much excess is applicable if I make a claim?

      Your excess will be specific to your policy and can be found on the policy schedule.

    • There has been bad weather which has caused storm damage to my rental property, how can I claim for this?

      We can look to set up a claim for you. We require the exact date the storm occurred in order to validate the claim. You will need to take steps to prevent any further loss and we are happy for emergency repairs to be completed. Once we have verified the conditions, we will then require photographs of the damage and 2 estimates for the full repairs to be completed.

    • Once the work is completed should I pay the contractor or do you do this?

      We can do this either way depending on your preference. However, if we pay the contractor then we will deduct the policy excess and you will need to pay the shortfall.

    • What method of payment would you use to settle the claim?

      We have the facility to make payment by cheque or BACS. Please specify which method you would prefer and supply your bank details if it is BACS.

    • What happens if I need to make a claim out of working hours?

      In the event an emergency we would recommend taking the appropriate action to prevent the loss from getting worse and t We have an out of hours contact centre that can take the details and these are passed to our claims team on a Monday morning.

    • What is a loss adjuster?

      Loss adjusters are independent claims specialists who assist in the fair and just settlement of claims, including complex or contentious claims, on behalf of insurance companies. They help policyholders restore their property to full working order.

    • In the event of a break in what should I do?

      You will need to contact your local police to report the crime and obtain a crime reference number. If you need to board the property for security reasons you can proceed to do this. We will then need photographs and 2 estimates for the repairs to the building and original purchase receipts that you may be looking to claim for under contents.

    • Loss of rent can I claim if the property is unoccupied between tenancy agreements?

      No. The loss of rent cover only applies when an insured peril having occurred at the property has made the property inhabitable and there was a valid tenancy agreement already in place.

    • Do I need employees liability?

      In order to have this cover you need to provide an ERN number of the employees you have working at the property. Most main contractors like telephone engineers, plumbers will have their own insurance in place.

    • How do I make a claim on my landlord insurance?

      At Hamilton Fraser we have our own in house claims team, so you can call us on 0345 310 6370 and we will take full details and explain what you need to do next.

    • What documents will I need for a landlord insurance claim?

      If the claim is for material damage then you will need to supply photographs of the damaged areas and 2 estimates for any repair work or items that you are looking to replace

    • Do I need to complete a claim form?

      No. We will take the details from you over the telephone. Please call us on 0345 310 6370.

    • I have a leak in one of my rented properties, what should I do?

      In the first instance, you will need to get a contractor in to locate and repair the leak. This is not covered by the policy but we will require a copy of the invoice to confirm it is fixed. For any areas that have been affected by water damage, you will need to supply photographs and 2 estimates for the repairs.

    • How do I know what the rebuilding value is?

      You can visit and this site can help you calculate the rebuilding value alternatively if you have an up to date survey of the property or recent mortgage on the property you should find the figure there. The rebuilding value is NOT the market/selling value.

    • How do I know what contents value to cover?

      This only covers items specifically provided for the use of the tenant and which you as the landlord are legally liable for and excludes certain items it also excludes the tenants personal items which can be covered under a separate tenants contents policy contact us on for further information.

    • What is fixtures and fittings?

      If you are covering the building this is included in the rebuilding value however if you require cover for a flat you may need fixtures and fittings insurance these are things like a new bathroom suit, kitchen suit and improvements made by the leaseholder and not covered under the main buildings insurance policy.

    • How much excess should I have on landlord insurance?

      Unlike motor insurance most property insurance do not offer a no claims discount and are calculated on the rebuilding value, area and some other factors, instead prices generally are maintained and would not significantly jump unless there are claims.

    • What should be included in landlord insurance?

      There are various policies offering a range of general excesses Total Landlord insurance offer a standard excess of £250 increasing to £1,000 for subsidence and malicious damage claims however they do offer a general excess of £500, £1,000 which does offer a cheaper quotation.

    • How to understand your landlord insurance policy?

      On all policies there should be a page with definitions that helps you understand some terminology used in the policy wording. You can visit our website and request us to contact you if you would like any assistance.

    • How much does landlord insurance cost?

      Depending on your circumstances you can cover numerous things from the building, fixtures and fittings, landlords contents left at the let property for tenants use, loss of rent, property owners liability to name a few.

    • How does landlord insurance work on no-claims?

      Just the same as a mortgage you need to get the correct type of insurance for let properties. A standard home policy would not protect your legal liability against injury to your tenant also the Total Landlord Insurance Premier Policy includes malicious damage and theft by tenants which would not be covered under a standard home policy.

    • What is landlord insurance?

      An insurance policy that covers a landlord from financial losses connected with their rental properties.

Get a quote

Get a quote online in 4 minutes