Landlords, agents and tenants survey the sector (2021) - Hamilton Fraser's Property Podcast
Hamilton Fraser’s Property Podcast is back with the first episode of 2021. Eddie and Paul once again return to their microphones to discuss the changing nature of the private rented sector, recent COVID-19 updates and their impact on the sector, as well as what landlords can expect in the year ahead.
As we look forward to eased restrictions, and a possible return to normality, Eddie and Paul are joined a year on from their first appearance on Hamilton Fraser’s property podcast by Matt Hooker and Nick Hamatsos, Co-founders of deposit replacement membership scheme, Ome.
After promising to return a year on from their last podcast appearance, Matt and Nick explain in detail the trials and tribulations of launching a new product during a global pandemic. They also discuss the uptake for deposit replacement membership, Ome, and how landlords, agents and tenants are responding to a new deposit model in the market.
Following a year of hard work to help increase choice and transparency within the market, Matt and Nick also discuss the results of their recently released co-branded private rented sector sentiment survey, a joint undertaking with traditional deposit protection scheme, mydeposits. The survey gained incredible insights from over 14,200 tenants, landlords and agents throughout the UK on their experiences within the private rented sector. The survey included questions related to landlord self-management, landlord/tenant relationships, government support for the sector, tenancy deposit protection preferences and the perceived value of renting, amongst others.
Eddie, Paul, Matt and Nick also give their opinions on what further innovation in the private rented sector could look like, and how this will directly impact landlords, agents and their tenants.
To conclude, Eddie asks Matt and Nick a new question for 2021 aimed to get us thinking about what the future holds for buy to let, ‘What is unusual in the PRS now that will be commonplace by 2030?’ Their thought-provoking answers help to remind us that with a new year come new opportunities.
Missed the previous podcasts in the series? Don’t worry, you can catch up with industry news here!
Previous guests include:
- Daniel Lee, Mortgage Broker at Total Landlord Mortgages
- Steve Bowen, Mediator at the Property Redress Scheme and experienced landlord
- Jonathan Schuman, established portfolio landlord and Owner of Magnet Properties
- Ben Beadle, Chief Executive of the National Residential Landlords Association (NRLA)
- Matt Hooker and Nick Hamatsos, Co-Founders of Ome, a new breed of deposit replacement scheme
- Sean Hooker, Head of Redress at the Property Redress Scheme
- Kate Faulkner, market analyst, commentator and co-author of ‘The Landlord’s Friend’
- Tessa Shepperson, residential property lawyer and Managing Director of Landlord Law
Get a landlord insurance quote
Get a quote online in under 4 minutes