Student Landlord Insurance

Offering residential landlords with student tenants comprehensive cover for over 20 years.

Get a quote Retrieve a quote

If you have a property in an area with a large student population letting to student tenants can be an attractive prospect. Almost half of students rent directly from private landlords, bringing about good rental yields and straightforward annual contracts.

Student tenants often get bad press from insurers as they deem them more likely to cause damage to your property. More often than not this is simply a student ‘stereotype’, however it is still a good idea to consider some specific cover as unavoidably accidents can happen.

What do we offer?

At Hamilton Fraser Total Landlord Insurance we don’t treat student tenants any different – in fact, we can accommodate for all types of tenants with no difference in cover or price.

Our award winning landlord insurance offering, Total Landlord Insurance, has been specialising in providing comprehensive cover for landlords since 1996. Building upon the extensive knowledge and experience of Hamilton Fraser, our focus is to offer easy to understand insurance for landlords without sacrificing high quality buy to let cover, or a great price.

It is through our unique understanding of the buy-to-let industry that we are able to offer not only good value buildings and contents insurance, but valuable insight into the best ways to protect your investment, giving you total peace of mind.

Our landlord insurance has been created to meet the needs of landlords by offering you two simple policies that take the headache out of buying buy to let insurance for your rental properties.

This means our cover for our Essential and Premier policies remain the same even for student tenants and your premium doesn’t suffer! All we need to know is the fact that you are renting to students in your application. Simple!

Remember that if renting to three or more unrelated tenants your property is likely to be classed as a HMO, and therefore will need to comply with the regulations surrounding this. You can read more about HMOs here.

For more expert advice on renting to student tenants take a look at tenancy deposit protection provider mydeposits’ resource section here.

Get a quote

Get a quote for your student property today

  • Choose the level of cover you need based upon your individual requirements with two easy to understand landlord insurance policies that protect your investment, Premier and Essential
  • A dedicated in-house claims team of expert advisers providing customers with a sole point of contact should the worst happen
  • All property types considered – freehold houses to leasehold flats
  • Both policies accommodate for all types of tenants from housing benefit tenants to students, houses in multiple occupation and working tenants with no difference in cover or price
  • Flexible cover that enables you to add properties to an existing policy at any time, giving you one renewal date
  • 30 days full cover between tenancies on our Essential policy and 90 days full cover between tenancies on our Premier policy
  • Both policies include loss of rent or alternative accommodation (30% of buildings sum insured on the Premier policy, and 20% of buildings sum insured on the Essential policy)
  • Both policies include theft by violence and forcible entry, our Premier policy includes theft by tenants and/or their guests
  • Our Premier policy offers property owners liability with a £5,000,000 limit of indemnity (our Essential policy includes a £2,000,000 limit of indemnity)
  • Our Premier policy covers malicious damage by tenants and their guests and offers extensive property disputes support

  • Choose the level of excess that’s right for you – £100, £250, £500 or £1,000
  • Protect your property against loss or damage resulting from acts of terrorism with our terrorism cover
  • Include employer’s liability cover (available under our Premier policy) for protection against your legal liability to pay compensation, claimants costs and expenses in respect of injury sustained by an employee