The finer details of a C12 Gas Safety Certificate

This week marks the 6th annual Gas Safety Week – a campaign launched by the Gas Safety Register to highlight the dangers of inadequate checks and raise awareness around how to stay safe.

A C12 Gas Safety Certificate is central to safety measures, which is why we thought we’d take this opportunity to explain what this is.

What is it?

Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, you’re legally required to get a Gas Safety Certificate every year for any properties you let out. This will be provided by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer after completing a mandatory gas safety check.

You must provide existing tenants with a copy within 28 days of the check being carried out, and give the most up to date certificate to new tenants at the beginning of their lease. While you’re only legally required to have checks done every 12 months, it’s a good idea to have appliances checked between tenants while the property is vacant.

HSE also recommend installing a Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm to make sure your tenants are safe from dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

What’s included?

The Gas Safety Certificate comes after mandatory gas safety checks, where a Gas Safe Registered Engineer will carry out the following work:

  • Checking gas appliances for gas tightness.
  • Testing standing and working pressure on test points, if available.
  • Checking burner pressure and gas rate against the manufacturer’s data plate.
  • Checks for all necessary ventilation.
  • A test of the flue flow to make sure combustible products are removed.
  • Checking all flame failure devices are operating satisfactorily.
  • Checks will be made for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets where appropriate.

The engineer will also investigate and report on any evidence of unsafe operation.

Once this work has been carried out, you will be issued a Gas Safety Certificate which will be valid for one year.