Do I need landlord insurance for a flat?

Get a quote


Search our FAQs

As a landlord you will need to insure your flat, but the type of cover required will depend on what you own. If you own a single flat in the property, you’re the owner of a leasehold property and are not usually required to insure the building, you will tend to contribute to this via a service charge.

However, you are still legally liable for the welfare of your tenant. We would recommend that you purchase leaseholders liability cover as this would protect you should your tenant or their guests try to make a claim for injury.

If you own the building as a whole and then rent out flats as individual units, you will also own the freehold and would therefore also probably require building insurance.

Related questions

Get a landlord insurance quote

Get a quote online in under 4 minutes